Updated 1/23/16, 1/29/16
1/23/16: Yesterday, I did a 50% water change. The tank size is 10-gallon, but 50% is approximately 4 gallons. I mix Instant Ocean Sea Salt with bottled water, 1/4 cup to a gallon, in a plastic gallon container and pour it in over the coral condo to avoid cratering the gravel substrate. The amount of debris that this process flushed out of the condo was amazing. It mushroomed out like gray dust clouds into the open area of the tank. By the time I poured the fourth and last gallon into the tank, the debris cloud was nearly nonexistent. In hindsight, I realize that I should have flushed the condo while I was removing water from the tank by scooping water from the tank and pouring it back in over the condo. This way I could have removed some of the debris too. One problem with scooping water out of a murky tank is the possibility of accidentally removing opae along with the dirty water. However, the debris is more like fine grains rather than powder, and the water clears quite quickly, so I should be able to see if any are in the scooper. If not, then I’ll just do it as I normally do. Up until now, I had assumed that water changes weren’t necessary. However, with the disease and the debris, I’ll probably do a water change 2-3 times a year. More or less, depending on results. I’m hoping that this water change will stop the disease and cure the ones that are infected. Too soon to tell at this point.
1/29/16: See Opae’ula Bubble Trouble Solved.