One of two AquaClear 1000 Powerheads in my 18-gallon (filled to 10-gallon level) tank. This is the only powerhead I’ve found that’s suitable for my small tanks (largest is 10 gallons). These powerheads are rated “for aquariums up to 10 U.S. gallons.” The critical factor is the flow is adjustable. At full strength, the flow is still too strong. However, at the lowest setting, the flow is perfect. The price is also unbelievable — $8.50 U.S. in Hawaii. Prices may vary elsewhere. Mahalo, Namruso, for your tip! I finally made it down to Petland in Kahala and bought some of these. As you say, they’re perfect for small tanks. I wish I had done it sooner.
Setting it up in the tank was a bit of work, requiring trial and error. I wanted to have the head sitting above the surface to monitor the flow of water. This required some awkward jiggling, but I finally got it to work. Gone are the unsightly air pumps and tubes. Gone is the constant noise. These babies are silent. I also added two of these to the 10-gallon on the kitchen counter. Finally, I replaced the air tube in the 5-gallon Fluval Chi UGF with one of these powerheads. I hope this will reduce or eliminate the salt crusting.
[UPDATE 1/7/17 – After 6 months, I’ve given up on the powerheads and returned to the good ole air pumps. The current was just too strong for my small 10-gallon tanks, which are really filled to the 8-to-9 gallon level. I noticed that opae activity had been declining progressively to the point where they were no longer swimming about. As soon as I made the switch, they became more active again.
The powerheads seemed to reduce the salt crusting a bit, but the cost in terms of tank health was too great. The powerheads also had a tendency to slip off their rubber mounts on the tube. This was a danger to the opae that wandered too close. They were sucked into the powerhead and churned into chum. I didn’t always notice the problem until many hours had passed. I tried to stabilize the seating by shoving a short length of plastic tubing over the oval intake and placing the whole back into the uptake tube. This worked for three of the powerheads, but not for the fourth, which kept slipping out of the tube.]
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink